Contact ATG to find out about the 2016 Giro.
The Route should be available by December, 2016
Here is an example of our 2014 Giro Tour:
Watch 5 Critical Giro Stages during the last week of the Race!
The route of the 2014 Giro d’Italia will pay tribute to Marco Pantani with three climbs in his honour ten years after his tragic death. ATG has designed an exciting Trip to follow the critical final week in the high mountains of the Alps and Dolomites – Gavia, Stelvio, Val Martello, Rifugio Panarotta and Monte Zoncolan, as well as a time trial up Monte Grappa. According to Scarponi, the Zoncolan “is one of the hardest climbs I’ve ever done and it’s always decisive. The winner there usually goes on to finish on the podium or win overall.”
- Watch Stage 16 Mountaintop Finish on Val Martello (Cima Coppa Stage Gavia/Stelvio/Val Martello!)
- Watch Stage 17 Start in Sarnonico
- Watch Stage 18 Mountaintop Finish on Refugio Panarotta
- Watch Stage 19 Mountain ITT on Monte Grappa
- Watch Stage 20 Mountaintop Finish on Monte Zoncolan
- Ride alongside the shores of Lago Maggiore, Lugano and Como.
- Climb the Madona del Ghisallo and visit this famous Cyclist’s Chapel
- Climb Mortirolo, Passo Gavia and Stelvio,
- Climb Monte Grappa and Monte Zoncolan
- Post Trip option to visit Venice
We’ve been operating Tours following Pro races for 13 years. To best experience this historic Giro tribute to Marco Pantani. ATG’s trip will follow the Giro’s most exciting and decisive 3rd week. Challenge yourself on the Mortirolo, Gavia, Stelvio, Monte Grappa and Monte Zoncolan for a total of 10 of Italy’s most famous climbs — a perfect balance of challenging riding and experiencing the Giro’s best Stages. You’ll watch three of the most epic mountain top stage finishes: Val Martello (via Gavia and Stelvio), Refugio Panarotta and the Stage 20 finish on the iconic Monte Zoncolan!
You will also climb and watch the Individual time trial on Monte Grappa and get an up-close view of your favorite riders as they line up at the start of Stage 17 in Sarnonico. If you were ever thinking of going to the Giro, this is the year “not-to-be missed”. ATG’s tour will be a climbers dream with lots of opportunity to complete your personal “bucket list”. Our guided small group (18) tour is fully-supported and designed for strong and avid cyclists. Get the full flavor of the Giro by participating in this grand party/cycling event.
We make watching the race easy — all of our hotels are located close to the Tour route, so you’re able to ride to where you’ll watch. There’s no need for van transfers or sitting in traffic to watch the Giro Stages. To make your travel more convenient, ATG will include door-to-door Airport Transfer service to/from our start/end hotels.
ATG Trip Style:
Our fully supported tour is designed for strong and avid cyclists. We will be staying 2 nights in most hotels which allows for less packing/unpacking and a more relaxing trip.
Click here to view last years’ Giro d’Italia bike tour itinerary.
Airport Arrival/Departure City:
Milan (MXP)/Venice (VCE)
Average Daily Mileage and Terrain
Ride an average of 60 to 80 miles daily with 5,000 to 10,000 feet of climbing. There will be two riding groups to choose from each day: a faster-paced “A” group and a more leisurely paced “B” group.
May temperatures in the Italian Alps and Dolomites can range from 70 degrees and sunny, to 40 degrees and raining with possibility of snow on the high passes. Average temperatures are usually mild, but because it is the mountains, there can be extreme variations. Get more information about the weather in this area here.
- Group Airport Transfers
- Lodging in quaint, welcoming inns and hotels.
- Hearty, cyclist-friendly breakfasts.
- 7 dinners (three-course) with local wine
- Full van support, snacks and drinks on the ride each day.
- Experienced tour guides, daily maps, route notes and Garmin gpx files.
- Transportation and luggage transfers during the tour.
- Gratuities for transfers, hotels and restaurants.
- Custom ATG bike jersey and souvenir map with tour route.
- Handling of Bike Boxes
What’s Not Included
- Airfare and travel insurance.
- Lunches are on your own, so you have maximum flexibility in your day.
- Non-group dinners on the two free evenings. This gives you a chance to try the restaurants of your choice.
- Bikes are not included, but are available for an additional fee of $500.
- Personal services, including laundry, telephone, hotel mini bar charges, etc., are not included.
What Our Guests Are Saying
“Lise and Gary did such a great job finding extraordinary places along the way. We stayed in so many unique, wonderful hotels and inns. It was apparent that they had spent a lot of time finding interesting and special routes that really exposed us not only to the essence of the sport of cycling in Italy, but also to the less traveled, cultural aspects that helped round out our European experience.”
Ruth and Bob Wade, Aspen, CO
“I have had the pleasure of taking two cycling trips to Europe with ATG and can’t wait to take another! I couldn’t imagine a better trip. Gary and Lise take care of every aspect of the trip with great attention to detail — the cycling route, food, accommodations and alternative activities are all planned to perfection. The end result is a trip that leaves me telling all my friends that trips with ATG are the ultimate vacations.”
Roanne Miller, Park city, UT