Spectacular bicycling from Geneva to Nice on a fully-supported, guided bicycle vacation.
Join ATG as we follow this classic bicycle tour in France, starting in Geneva and following the spine of the Alps. This guided, fully-supported tour ends on the sunny shores of the Mediterranean sea. We have modified this scenic route to take advantage of spectacular villages and smaller roads, creating what is sure to become one of your most memorable bicycle vacations.
The Route des Grand Alpes was conceived by the Touring Club de France in 1911 by incorporating the spectacular high-altitude roads that were constructed to provide military access to protect the Franco-Italian frontier.
This bike tour was designed with climbers in mind:
- Ideal for cyclists who love to climb! Climb 24 classic Alps cols in France
- Ride the highest col in Europe: Col de la Bonette.
- Largest vertical climb in France – Col du Galibier via Telegraphe.
- Enjoy the remote and scenic roads of the Maritime Alps.
- Sample excellent French wines and delicious cuisine at quaint restaurants where only the locals dine.
- Our small group offers a more relaxing and enjoyable travel experience.
You will be cycling many of the roads and passes that define the Tour de France, both this year and past years. You will climb some of the area’s best-known cols, including Glandon, Croix de Fer, Madeline, Col du Telegraphe and Galibier There are three , two-night stays so you can enjoy the best cycling each area has to offer. Along with challenging rides, this area boasts renowned wineries, delicious Savoyard cuisine and gorgeous lake and mountain villages.
The route stops in captivating Annecy, with its winding canals, weekly markets and myriad of outdoor activities, and concludes in beautiful Provence and Cote d’Azur with rolling hills, vineyards and flower-filled meadows.
Climb 24 of the Classic Alps Cols!
This bicycle tour includes some unforgettable climbs, including the Col du Marais, Col de la Croix-Fry, Col des Aravis, Col de la Colombiere, Col de Leschaux, Col du Frene, Col de Tamie, Col de la Madeleine, Col du Glandon, Col de la Croix de Fer, Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier, Col du Lautaret, Col d’Izoard, Col de Vars, Col de la Bonette, Cal d”Allos, Col de la Cayolle, Col des Champs, Col de la Couillole, Col Saint-Martin, Col de Turini, Col de Castillon, and finally , Col de la Madone. Feel the rush of summiting these epic cols!
Click here for a complete itinerary of our Cycling Route des Grandes Alpes bicycle tour.
Airport Arrival/Departure City
Average Daily Mileage and Terrain
Ride an average of 60 to 70 miles, with 4,000 to 8,000 feet of climbing. There are a variety of route options on most days.
- Lodging in quaint, welcoming inns and hotels.
- Hearty, cyclist-friendly breakfasts every day.
- Most dinners (four-course, including wine).
- Full van support, snacks and drinks on the ride each day.
- Experienced tour guides, and daily detailed maps and route notes.
- Transportation and luggage transfers during the tour.
- Gratuities for transfers, hotels and restaurants.
- Custom ATG bike jersey and souvenir map with tour route.
What’s Not Included
- Airfare and travel insurance.
- Lunches are on your own, so you have maximum flexibility in your day.
- Non-group dinners on the free evenings. This gives you a chance to try the restaurants of your choice.
- Bikes are not included, but are available for an additional fee.
- Personal services, including laundry, telephone, hotel minibar charges, etc., are not included.
What Customers are Saying:
“The Alps trip was incredible. Gary and Lise are the best guides we have ever toured with. Their knowledge of France and attention to every detail made this trip unforgettable. The rides were epic and the food was delicious, but what we didn’t expect were the first-class accommodations each night. If you dream about riding the most legendary climbs in France, then this trip is for you!”
Dave and Anne Simonson, San Diego, CA
“The Alps tour was an absolutely amazing experience. Gary and Lise knew every inch of road from start to finish to maximize the enjoyment of riding some of the classic Tour de France stages. The trip started on the shores of Lake Annecy and ended in the beautiful vineyards and lavender fields of Provence. Every day offered plenty of options for challenging, scenic and fun rides with time to explore the unique towns and sights of the French countryside. The small inns and hotels provided a comfortable place to call home during the trip as well. I would recommend ATG and this tour to anyone, especially those interested in challenging themselves on the French Alps.”
Nick Clements, Fort Collins, CO
“We consider ourselves relatively knowledgeable when it comes to cycling holidays, having taken six previous cycling trips to Europe. Our 2008 Alps tour with Adventure Travel Group was the best. Gary and Lise are consummate professionals. They were keenly aware of our comfort, safety and always attentive to our needs. Their command of the route details was exceptional and made for great rides. Gary and Lise are the kind of individuals you would like to hang out with. Their love of travel and adventurous spirit are irresistible. We are looking forward to our next tour with ATG.”
Gordon and Patti Chiang, Larkspur, CA
“Cycling in the French Alps with Gary and Lise was challenging, rewarding and enjoyable. It was the experience of a lifetime.”
Jeff and Paul Nelsen, Boulder, CO