Experience the Best of Italy & France on a guided, fully-supported bicycle vacation with Adventure Travel Group.
You can enjoy the best of Italian and French culture, cuisine and cycling on a single trip. This tour begins in the Piedmont region of Italy, known for its great food and wine, and concludes along the scenic coast of France in Nice.
The route enters France by way of hors catégorie Colle dell’Agnello (2008 / 2010 Tour de France) and continues along the famous “Route de Grand Alpes.” This is the most challenging trip offered by ATG! You’ll spend three days at the base of the Col de la Bonette and also ride the famous “Grande Boucle” (big loop) including the Col d’Allos, Col des Champs and Col de Cayolle. As you make your way to Nice, you’ll ride along a spectacularly scenic road that hugs the Mediterranean coast, and ride the Col de la Madone, one of Lance Armstrong’s favorite routes.
- Enjoy the charm, culture and cuisine of Italy and France
- Challenge yourself on classic climbs in the Alps.
- Take one of Lance’s favorite routes over Col de la Madone.
- Ride the highest col in Europe: Col de la Bonette.
- Enjoy the remote and scenic roads of the Maritime Alps.
Click here for a detailed itinerary of Cycling the Italian & French Alps – Torino to Nice
Airport Arrival/Departure City:
Average Daily Mileage and Terrain
Ride an average of 60 to 70 miles, with 5,000 to 8,000 feet of climbing. As with all our trips, you decide how much or how little you want to ride each day. We’ll offer a variety of route options, along with daily non-cycling activities such as hiking, wine tasting, exploring the village or simply relaxing.
- Lodging in quaint, welcoming inns and hotels.
- Hearty, cyclist-friendly breakfasts every day.
- Most dinners (four-course, including wine).
- Full van support, snacks and drinks on the ride each day.
- Experienced tour guides, and daily detailed maps and route notes.
- Transportation and luggage transfers during the tour.
- Gratuities for transfers, hotels and restaurants.
- Custom ATG bike jersey and souvenir map with tour route.
What’s Not Included
- Airfare, travel insurance.
- Lunches are on your own, so you have maximum flexibility in your day.
- Non-group dinners on the free evenings. This gives you a chance to try the restaurants of your choice.
- Bikes are not included, but are available for an additional fee.
- Personal services, including laundry, telephone, hotel minibar charges, etc., are not included.
What Our Guests Are Saying
“This was my third tour with ATG and was definitely another ‘winner’. It is a climber’s paradise, as the route took us over some of the highest and most spectacular climbs in all of France, many of which are regularly used in the Tour de France. In fact, while there, we saw several pro teams scouting the routes for the Tour which was only a couple of weeks away, and one day we ran into Ivan Basso who happened to be staying in our very hotel ! Highlights for me were the Col Agnel, Col d’Izoard and the Col de la Bonnette, as well as some of the cliffhanging descents and gorges near the Col de Turini.
Of course, as always, the expert guidance and warm hospitality of Gary and Lise, as well as their choices of superb hotels and restaurants made every day a delight.
Simply the best bicycle tour I have ever been on! I have travelled to Europe about a dozen times for cycling, and have done so in all imaginable ways: tour companies, club groups, self-guided and I can positively say that ATG is by far the best experience I have had, bar none!
At ATG, the level of detail in planning is astonishing. Everything from hotel choice and meal menus, to route planning down to the last microscopic detail, to assure that we get the most and best out of our time. Gary and Lise are wonderful people – both are strong riders, Gary a former racer and qualified coach has the strength and stamina of a locomotive, and Lise has boundless energy, generosity and enthusiasm, is fluent in several languages, and has lots of interesting socio-historic knowledge about the areas and towns we visit. Both are warm and caring people who are on the road with us at all times. In short, my trip was perfect in every way! ATG is now my first choice for a bike tour and I will be travelling with them every year if I can.”
Norbert Kraft, Toronto, Canada